Monday, April 11, 2011

Vince Vaan part 74

Barbara overslept.

She woke up with a start. She had had some kind of bad dream. Looking around most of her men were up making lunch as breakfast had long past. Two of them were having it out in the corner and Barbara supposed she could guess why.

"Shut'up you ingrate. It's my deer! You only helped."

"Huh, if I never made those arrows you would never have been able to kill it."

"What's your point? I still killed it. Without me there wouldn't be no dear. You couldn't hit the broadside of a barn!"

Barbara raised her voice easily higher than them. "Enough!"

Both stopped their wrestling and looked to her. "You know the rules. Share the dang meat."

Reluctantly the bigger one handed over a slice. "Yes ma'am."

Just then Steve came running through the door. "Barbara, you ought to come see this."

----

Marie was nobodies fool. She watched Toque go with that look on his face. She could only guess where he was off to. In the twinkling of an eye he was off through the underbrush on the side of town.

Marie went to give chase but bumped into someone. "Oh excuse me."

Marie glimpsed him, thinking he looked familiar. "You, your the one with Vince aren't you?"

"Yes, er, was with him. Sarganno's the name."

"Right. Want to earn a few coins?"

Sarganno looked around nervously. "What do I have to do?"

"There's a fat man who took off into the forest yonder. I want to know what he's up to. Find out and there will be a fat sack of gold for you."

"... ok. What's your name?"

"Marie Ollon. I work at this restaurant, and you can find me here."

"Right, off I go then."

Sarganno took off through the underbrush where the fat man had disappeared earlier. Marie thought it strange he never asked for an amount.

"He was back here I'm sure of it."

Two knights came back to where she was. They looked around but otherwise ignored her.

"Huh... maybe he circled around back?"

"Let's go."

Both went running. Marie cocked an eyebrow. Had she just consorted with a criminal?

No comments: